Infertility is a sad reality in the life of many people. According to experts, there are three main reasons for non-pregnancy. In 36% of cases, this is an ovulation disruption, in 30% – obstruction of the fallopian tubes and in 18% – endometriosis. At the current stage of reproductive medicine, there is a way to solve all these problems and many other reproductive problems.
- Who will help surrogacy?
- Surrogacy: legislation of different countries
- How much does surrogacy cost?
- Advices for using surrogacy: how to get high quality service without overpayments
Unsuccessful attempts to conceive a child lead couples to use ART. One of them is surrogacy.
Surrogate motherhood includes the fertilization of the mother’s or donor’s oocytes using IVF and the transfer of the resulting embryo to a surrogate mother. The child will have a genetic relationship with the future parents, not the surrogate mother.
Before transfer, the embryo is examined to improve the success of the procedure.
There are several types of surrogate motherhood:
- Mother’s eggs are fertilized with paternal or donor biomaterial. The resulting healthy embryos are transferred to surrogate mother.
- With donor eggs. If there are no good quality oocytes of their own, donor oocytes are used. They are fertilized with the biomaterial of the future father. The embryos are transferred to the surrogate mother.
- With your own surrogate mother. The child is carried by a surrogate mother, who is brought to the clinic by clients. The advantages of the approach in the trusting relationship of the surrogate mother and future parents, their emotional and / or genetic connection, saving time and money due to the absence of a selection stage and fees.
The type of surrogacy is largely determined by the amount of remuneration for the surrogate mother. In this regard, altruistic and commercial surrogacy are distinguished.
In the first case, the woman carrying the child does not receive any remuneration for her services, only reimbursement of all expenses associated with pregnancy and childbirth. This type is found in the work of a surrogate mother provided by parents or in countries where only non-commercial surrogacy is allowed.
In the second case, the surrogate mother receives a fee for her services. The costs incurred are also reimbursed by the parents.